6 November 2013

WWE 2K14 Ramblings

I got WWE 2K14 Friday and I played it for most of the evening. For a long time I wasn't even going to buy this game. I didn't think it was going to be worth the price tag. Then I started mucking about with WWE '13 and something in me yearned for the up-to-date roster list and what have you. It's funny, before Wednesday of last week I haven't really picked up WWE 13 since I completed it last November. I think everybody does that. You buy it, you play it an unhealthy amount and then it just sits there for a long time collecting dust.

As soon as I put 2K14 in, I played one exhibition match: Dean Ambrose vs. CM Punk. It took me a minute to decide to be Ambrose. It almost felt like a betrayal, and then I had to figuratively slap myself and remind myself that this is just a fucking video game. I won, by the way. (Sorry, Punk. I still love you.) 

The roster feels really light on current guys this year. WWE 13 seemed to have the balance right and it felt like you had as many from the top as you do from the bottom. But this year the roster menu feels lopsided. It's like they thought they were making Legends of WrestleMania and then realised that this was the annual release and they had to add the current guys in as well. I haven't done an exact count, so I don't know if I'm just being an idiot. I'm probably just being an idiot. 

I played three matches of the campaign, and then got bored and decided to go do other things on the game. The last two games' “story modes” have been re-telling past eras by way of a series of matches with specific historical objectives you have to complete. Both of those things turn me off. I'm not into history, really. I don't want to go over what happened in 1999 or 1985. I loved WWE 12 where they created a storyline and did something different. I want the new, the future, not the old and already happened. If you're a fan of reliving the history of things, or a fan of nostalgia, or maybe the 80s were just the glory years for you, you'll love the 30 Years of WrestleMania mode. And if you're a fan of storytelling by way of a string of matches, ala WWE 13, then you'll get as much fun out of this as you did that. It's just not my thing. Sorry. 

I started a story instead. The storyline creator is the best thing they've introduced to this series in YEARS. I love everything about it and it's taken me a year to realise that. I mucked about with it before, but in beginning to build the story I started tonight, I've fallen madly in love with it. It's just such a shame Bray Wyatt didn't arrive in time to be part of this game. I want him in a game so badly, but I fear I'm going to have to wait until next year for that.

WWE 2K14 is pretty much the same experience you had last year, which is not a negative thing. If you enjoyed WWE 13, you'll enjoy this. There's still plenty to do, and more customisation options than you'll find on any other game ever. I'm glad I decided to go ahead with buying this. But I will say this: like with WWE 13, you'll get a lot more out of this game if nostalgia and re-living the past is your thing. That's what this game is built on. 

I do hope that WWE 2K15 is a bit more about celebrating the present and future, because I'm done with nostalgia now. But again, I'm probably being an idiot.

Written by Matt Saye of The Wrestling Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment