10 September 2013

Devon Interview



As a professional wrestler, D-Von Dudley of Melbourne has won major titles at every level of professional wrestling including ECW, WWF/WWE, TNA, and New Japan Pro Wrestling. As one-half of the most successful tag team in pro wrestling history, the Dudley Boyz, D-Von has held 24 world tag team championships with his former tag team partner Bubba Ray Dudley.

On Saturday, D-Von teams up with Hope for a Single Mom to help single moms battling cancer. Wrestling icon Hulk Hogan and wrestling personalities Samoa Joe, Jay Lethal, Mike Knox, Kurt Angle, Garrett Bischoff, Wes Brisco (Aces & Eights), SoCal Val and more will appear at Body Slammin Breast Cancer 2 at the Melbourne Auditorium. Proceeds will benefit Hope for a Single Mom.




QUESTION: How did you get involved with Hope for a Single Mom?
ANSWER: Donna Sullivan, the co-founder, told me what she was doing. My grandmother battled cancer for most of her life, so when Donna told me what they were all about, I wanted to be a part of it.


Q: Tell me about the organization.
A: Often times a single mother with cancer will lose her jobs due to having to take time off for chemo, doctors’ appointments and more. We come in and pay the bills such as their mortgage, electricity and things like that, so that they can focus on getting well and fight the fight. The last thing these women need is to worry about having the lights cut off and that stress when they are going through an already tough time. It is one of those things that knowing that we can step in and take away the stress of those bills will hopefully give these mothers the comfort to fight and have one less thing to worry about.

Q: Now that your contract is up with TNA Wrestling, what’s next for you?
A: I’m going to Disney World! Actually, I am going to spend more time with the family. I am not done with wrestling. I still have the Team 3D Academy in Kissimmee training wrestlers. There is still a lot for me to do, but I am going to relax a while and enjoy some time off. I will be able to train more and get in the best shape of my life, and then focus on what is next. Only God knows what he has planned for me and where I am heading; I am just his co-pilot.

Q: How different is the wrestling business today than when you first started?
A: It is very different. The storylines and the way things are done is entirely different. When I started, age 40 was when you were just starting to get a break. You were getting your butt kicked until you were in your mid-30s because the veterans were grooming you to be a star. Now, young guys are peaking prematurely and rushed into the business. There are some great wrestlers like CM Punk and Randy Orton that people think were overnight successes, who actually spent years behind the scenes being groomed. I think the business throws guys out there hoping to find a star along the way. There used to be five or six wrestling federations where guys could learn the ropes, but now, you really only have two.

Q: You donate your time to so many worthy causes. Is it hard for you to portray a heel (wrestling term for bad guy)?
A: Sometimes, yes. People who know me say I am a big teddy bear and people who don’t know me can’t stand me. People don’t know the real Devon, but that is OK, I understand that. When you are the heel you have to make them (fans) believe you are really a jerk even though you aren’t one in real life. If you can convince them you are something you are not, that’s when you know you have made it.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about pro wrestling?
A: That everything is fake and that you don’t get hurt. The media makes it all sound so fake and make it sound like it’s easy. If it was easy to take bumps and bruises wouldn’t everyone be a star? There is an art to what we do and not everyone could do it. It takes a toll on the body. Not a morning after a match goes by that I am not in some kind of real pain. If people think it is easy, then I invite them to come in the ring and see how tough it can be. The Dudley Boyz never held back either, so we were all-in every match.

Q: What’s the most embarrassing in-ring moment you’ve had?
A: Teddy Long had stuffed toilet paper in the back of my pants without me knowing it. When I went running to the ring, I had toilet paper trailing behind me like some sort of superhero cape. Everyone was laughing at me, and I had no idea until Bubba said something. I should have known Teddy was up to something.

Q: As a young wrestler, were you asked to do a gimmick or portray a character that you regret?
A: No. Some might think I regret the Reverend D-Von character in the WWE, but I actually liked it. I think that was just a case where Paul Heyman and I just saw the character very differently. He is a genius and he would write these scripts for me that I didn’t feel were right for the character. If you don’t feel “it,” it is not going to work. It worked for awhile, but we were on two different pages. Paul created the Dudley Boyz and gave us our start, and I love that guy dearly, we just didn’t agree on the Reverend D-Von character. We bounced back after that character and went on to win championships, so it is all good.

Q: Only a handful of guys have enjoyed the longevity and success as you and the immortal Hulk Hogan. What’s the secret to that success?
A: Because I am real and have never been anything but real. I have never done anyone wrong, even if they did me wrong. I am a God-fearing man and know He will deal out more justice than I ever could. I am loyal to those loyal to me, and I have never backstabbed anyone. Even when I wasn’t in the best shape of my life and put on some pounds, I didn’t sulk about it. I got over it and worked harder to get back in shape. I also was never afraid to re-invent myself because you can always go back to what worked before, like when the Dudley Boyz had the glasses, etc. Who knows, that whole thing might happen again!

No comments:

Post a Comment